Lemon Herb Butter Roasted Chicken with Baby Artichokes
A classic chicken recipe that’s perfect for all seasons.
- One whole chicken, 4-5 pounds with giblets removed, rinsed and patted dry.
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole lemons cut in halves, plus zest of one lemon
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 5 shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
- 6 thyme sprigs + 1 tbsp fresh thyme, stems removed and chopped
- 2 sprigs of rosemary + 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 5 baby artichokes, quartered
- Olive oil
- In a bowl, combine softened butter, chopped rosemary, thyme and marjoram, lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the chicken breast side up on a large rimmed baking sheet. Loosen the skin on the breasts and legs and rub lemon herb butter mixture all over the chicken and underneath the skin. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Trim baby artichokes by cutting 1 inch off the top of the leaves with a pairing knife. Remove a few layers of the tough leaves until the light green leaves are revealed. Trim the stems up to the base, then quarter the artichokes.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the chicken. Stuff the onion, garlic, thyme sprigs and 2 lemon halves into the cavity. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place quartered baby artichokes, shallots and remaining lemon halves around the chicken. Drizzle artichokes and shallots lightly with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Insert temperature probe into chicken around the inner thigh and set the desired internal temperature to be 165 degrees. The chicken should roast for about an hour. Skin should be a rich golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a carving board and let rest for 10 mins. Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and serve.
SERVINGS: 4 Print Recipe
Back to home