Spinach and Goat Cheese PâTE à Choux Hors D'oeuvres
There’s perhaps no other time-tested hors d’oeuvres for entertaining than the Pâte à Choux (also known as pastry puff).
- 8 oz goat cheese, room temp
- 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Basic pâte à choux (cream puff dough) recipe:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 4-5 large eggs
- Or use frozen profiteroles:
- Purchase these bite-size pastry puffs made from pâte à choux from your gourmet grocer
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- If making pastry from scratch, bring water, butter and milk to boil (be sure the butter melts before the liquid boils).
- Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients. Once the liquid boils, remove pan from heat and add dry ingredients.
- Stir mixture together with wooden spoon and return pan to medium heat.
- Stir vigorously to dry out pastry (approximately 3-5 minutes). Paste will be shiny with small beads of butter on the surface of dough and pan.
- Incorporate eggs, one at a time, blending thoroughly with each addition. Dough should be soft and cling to the sides of the pan (if it doesn't, add 5th egg).
- Pipe pastry dough through a 1/2 inch #6 plain tip using techniques of squeezing, releasing and lifting into round puffs, 1 inch in diameter.
- Lower heat of oven to 375 degrees and bake until puffed, golden brown and firm to gentle touch (about 30-35 minutes). DO NOT open oven door. This will prevent them from getting puffy and airy. When done, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- If using frozen profiteroles, thaw in the refrigerator for three to four hours and then crisp them in a 350-375 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
- When done, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While puffs are cooling, make filling by beating goat cheese and cream until well blended. Fold in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.
- To assemble, slice the puff in half lengthwise and pipe spinach cheese filling into base and top with lid of pastry. Serve at room temperature.
SERVINGS: About 24 Appetizers Print Recipe
Back to home